Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Book Review: Defender of Magic (The Sidhe)

So apparently I fail at life and I somehow did not publish my review of Defender of Magic, the third installment in the Champion of the Sidhe series. Trying to make amends now. My apologies folks.

Summary:
"Raiders have attacked Danu’s temple, slaughtering its defenders. The artifacts that are the last hope for the survival of the fey are in danger. With Changelings out to kill him, and goblins determined to abduct him, Lugh’s on a quest to find a stronghold for those treasures. Perhaps he should have thought twice before seeking a safe haven in the territory of shape-changing, fire-breathing dragon."

Review:
I love this series! I don't think that's much of a secret by now.
In the third installment of Champion of the Sidhe, Lugh is still going strong in his quest to save the seelie fey from complete extinction by finding different artifacts that will restore the fey mounds. Unfortunately this is only making him weaker and it definitely shows throughout the novella. It's definitely admirable that he is literally sacrificing himself for the good of his people. I also loved the addition of Jonathan the Dragon Shape-shifter. I hope we see more of him in the future.

That being said I am still not a big fan of Lugh. I am hoping that one day I will read a novella that really blows me away and my opinion of him will be changed forever but so far that hasn't happened yet. Maybe it's his inital face off with Jhaer. Or the fact that he gives off the type of vibes that make you think if there was a popular table at some high school in the fey realm he would be sitting there with all the other popular kids acting like he owned the school. I'm thinking that's probably closer to what it is. So I really don't enjoy his story arc as much as I do the others. Granted it is probably too early to make judgment calls but so far he has not left a good impression.

Maybe I am just biased since my favorite mini series is probably Donovan/Jhaer's story arc hands down, but that hasn't stopped me from reading London and Lugh's series. This is mainly because each mini series doesn't quite work as a standalone, the three series converge into one continuous story arc. This works for one of two reasons. One, it helps immensely with the plot line and allows for the story to be told in depth over a longer period of time. Two, each installment in the series is broken up into a short story that can be read quickly. In order to get the full effect of the series it is recommended to read all three story arcs.

Sadly I just wasn't as enthralled with this installment, but I am looking forward to finding out more about Lugh and seeing what S.A. Archer and S. Ravynheart have planned for him in the future.

Look for Defender of Magic on Amazon.com or wherever e-books are sold.

Rating: 3.5/5
Reactions:

0 comments:

Post a Comment

    Categories

    Twitter Updates

    Followers