Sunday, December 1, 2013

Comic Review: Star Trek TNG meets Doctor Who in Assimilation 2 (Vol. 1)


Summary: 
"The two greatest science-fiction properties of all time cross over for the first time in history! When the Federation's most terrifying enemy strikes an unholy alliance with one of the Doctor's most hated antagonists, the result is devastation on a cosmic scale! Spanning the ends of space and time itself, Captain Jean-Luc Picard and the crew of the USS Enterprise find themselves joining forces with the time-travelling Doctor and his companions, with the fate of the galaxy hanging in the balance!

The first collection of the Assimilation 2 comics, including #1-4"


Review: 

While the idea of a crossover series can be epic. All too often it turns out the opposite. I'm sure we've all read a few Buffy and Battlestar Galactica fan fic that have not turned out not the way we envisioned it. Or maybe that's just me...

Either way, when I first noticed this at my local comic book store I *had* to have it. You could see my eyes light up as I clutched the comic book in both hands and walked with a stupid smile on my face to the register, like a kid at Christmas.

You see, though I recently became a Doctor Who fan--as in within the last three years--I have been a Trekkie, specifically a Star Trek: The Next Generation fan, my entire life. So I was pretty stoked about this series and it did not disappoint.

What is better than the 11th (12th?) doctor appearing in a comic series with Captain Jean-Luc Picard? Finding out the comic series also features scenes with the fourth doctor and  Kirk, Spock and Bones.
This series is truly amazing.

As I read scenes I could absolutely picture each character's voice in my head. The dialogue between the characters is amazing and while I was skeptical of the storyline at first, it really works. Essentially the Borg and the Cybermen have teamed up to assimilate the entire universe and despite traveling to San Francisco in 1941, the Doctor and the gang end up on the Enterprise's holodeck and face to face with a very confused Data.

Minus one star for the artwork. Some scenes look amazing and others look blurry and almost have an out of focus quality? However, I was willing to look past it because I enjoyed the plot so much. I'm still not sure when this takes place in the Doctor Who or TNG timeline but I'm sold on this concept. Now onto volume 2.

Rating: 4/5


Look for Star Trek: The Next Generation/Doctor Who: Assimilation 2 on Amazon.com or where ever comic books are sold. 

Reactions:

2 comments:

  1. I had a squee moment when I ran across the link to this post on your about.me page. Let's be friends, fellow Trekkie and Whovian.

    ERGB

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! Let's! I am so glad someone else feels this way about this crossover. I know a few people who felt this was a horrible idea. I just followed you on Twitter. :)

    ReplyDelete

    Categories

    Twitter Updates

    Followers