Sunday, May 19, 2013

Comic Review: iZombie Volumes: 1-4 (Issues: 1-28)

Summary:
Gwendolyn “Gwen” Dylan is a 20-something gravedigger in an eco-friendly cemetery. Once a month she must eat a human brain to keep from losing her memories, but in the process she becomes consumed with the thoughts and personality of the dead person – until she eats her next brain. She sets out to fulfill the dead person’s last request, solve a crime or right a wrong.

Gwen is joined by a radical supporting cast: her best friend Eleanor, who happens to be a swinging ’60s ghost, a posse of paintball blasting vampires, a smitten were-dog and a hot but demented mummy.

Review:

I used to read a lot of comics when I was younger. In high school, I read tons or manga and graphic novels. That sort of changed when I got older but I am slowly getting back into reading them.

Vertigo's iZombie series takes a different approach to monsters, zombies in particular. While I think everyone would agree that zombies are played out in most movies, books and on TV, this series brings a fresh perspective to the zombie lore. Although, I couldn't help but be reminded of  Diana Rowland's My Life as a White Trash Zombie or Stefan Petrucha's Dead Mann Walkingbut the series has a few elements that I haven't seen yet in many urban fantasy novels or comics for that matter.

I will admit. I was skeptical about whether I would like the first volume. The plot had the potential to turn into every other urban fantasy  novel I've read where there is a crime solving detective who is a monster or who lives in a world of monsters but this comic turned out to be so much more than that. By the next volume, Author Chris Roberson turns the series around. The plot really starts to pick up and we start to see that Gwen isn't like other zombies and that helping the dead is only one small part of the overall story arc, a very important part of the story arc, but still small compared to the grand scheme of things.

Michael Allred's artwork is beautiful to look at and the characters are well-developed, especially considering how short the comic is.

However, I felt extremely disappointed when the comic ended. It definitely felt too short and the ending felt a little rushed to me.

Overall, I would recommend this series to anyone looking for a slightly different zombie read or anyone who just wants to get back into comics. This was a very fun read.

Rating: 4.5/5


Look for iZombie comics anywhere comics are sold or on Amazon.com
Reactions:

0 comments:

Post a Comment

    Categories

    Twitter Updates

    Followers