Monday, February 4, 2013

Book Review: Deadlocked


Summary:

Meet Dave. An average run of the mill guy who works an uneventful, 9-5'er in marketing. Dave assumes the day will be just like every other day, but when he walks into his office, his cubicle neighbor and best friend, Barry, and a few of his other co-workers are watching the news. As if the news wasn't depressing enough, they're watching some children at a local school being ripped apart by other children from the same school. Soon a co-worker's husband calls and tells them that the news is now warning everyone to stay away from hospitals.

As the world quickly begins to unravel around him, Dave realizes that nothing else matters except getting to his wife, Laura, and their two young daughters, but he will have to escape the crowded city streets and his office building to do so. For Dave, the end is only the beginning. 

Review:

A.R. Wise presents a very realistic look at what would happen during the zombie apocalypse in this first novel in the Deadlocked series.

I'd be lying if I said 100 percent without a doubt I would survive the zombie apocalypse. I'd like to think I would at least have a fighting chance, while I'm not overly athletic I do make a point to work out, but working an office job in the city and possessing no weapons training whatsoever--minus what I've learned in video games--probably means I'd have a snowball's chance in hell at surviving.

While I enjoy watching movies like Zombieland, Land of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead, or Resident Evil I don't watch those types of movies and automatically think, 'I could totally do that,' because I couldn't. The characters are either freakishly skilled in every kind of weapon or combat training imaginable or they're some sort of super-powered science experiment. Even if a character is supposedly an average joe, after their initial terror wears off they always winds up fighting like a superhero two kills in.

That's what really drew me into this novella. It's hard not to like Dave. You can't really hate a guy who's just trying to get back home to his family during the zombie apocalypse.

I also enjoyed that Wise doesn't come out immediately and tell you how the virus started. There's some initial hinting at bioterrorism and of course there's the rumors about gas pump handles with needles, but we only know as much as Dave knows.

This novel has everything that makes a really great, attention grabbing series: action, adventure, likable characters and zombies.

Unfortunately, as much as I would like to give this novel five stars, the beginning was a bit rough around the edges. Some of this might be because this is a novella and so it doesn't lend itself to really descriptive language, which is fine, but some parts toward the beginning almost seem choppy. However, the writing eventually smooths out.

I am definitely looking forward to reading the next books in the series and seeing more from A.R. Wise.

Rating: 4/5

Download Deadlocked from Amazon or Smashwords for free!
Other books in the Deadlocked series are also available on these sites!

Reactions:

0 comments:

Post a Comment

    Categories

    Twitter Updates

    Followers