Sunday, February 24, 2013

Book Review: Rogue's Hallow

Summary:

"In a place where legend and unspoken truth have been hidden for centuries, how much longer will it be before the secrets are revealed? The deceptions are frightening, but the truth is terrifying... 

Malachi Chidester runs the Old Mill General Store in Rogue’s Hollow. Many secrets hide in the dungeons of his past, but he must confront the unknown before the truth may emerge. 

When Malachi befriends a young man from a neighboring town, the horrific truth is finally exposed. Both men will be forced to face the traumatic details of their past and make decisions which may lead them down a dark and uncertain path. 

Ghosts are the least of their Concerns. Is history destined to repeat itself or will someone have the strength to stand up to the evil lurking in the shadows of Rogue’s Hollow?"

Review:

After I finished reading this book I googled (I love how you can use "googled" as an adjective and it's completely acceptable.) Rogue's Hallow and was pleasantly surprised to discover that it is a real ghost town in Ohio and it is really, really haunted. For real.

The only thing that I love more than a ghost story is a historically accurate ghost story. That only means that I can one day visit said ghost town.

However, this book is very different from most novels that I  usually read and despite the fact that it takes place in a ghost town I wouldn't necessarily classify it as a horror or fantasy novel. There were some supernatural elements throughout the novel but maybe I envisioned a completely different novel based on the summary.

Don't get me wrong, author Jan Tilly's writing style is phenomenal. Tilly is an excellent wordsmith and amazing at really making you feel sympathy for both of her main characters, Malachi and Travis. It was heartwarming to see that they had found a friend in each other.

However, I think the development of their friendship is a large part of the novel. While this is important for character development I feel like nothing really happens with the main plot line until the end. By that point it almost feels like an afterthought. Sadly, the book moves incredibly slow and it isn't immediately evident as where the plot is going until about 60 percent into the novel. I think this would have been fine if it were a series but it didn't really work for me and I lost interest waiting for something to happen.

There are a lot of good elements here that could make this story truly amazing, unfortunately I think the detour from the plot made it hard for me to really ever connect with the story.

Rating: 2/5
Rogue's Hallow is available on amazon.com.
Reactions:

0 comments:

Post a Comment

    Categories

    Twitter Updates

    Followers