Monday, August 15, 2011

Movie News: Cry Baby Lane - The TV movie that Nickelodeon banned for being too scary...

Synopsis
Andrew (Jase Blankfort) and his older brother Carl (Trey Rogers) enjoy listening to ghost stories that the local undertaker, Mr. Bennett (Frank Langella), tells them. One night Bennett tells the tale of a local farmer whose wife gave birth to conjoined twins, one being good-natured while the other was clearly evil. The farmer, ashamed of them, kept the twins locked in their room. Eventually the twins got sick and died together, so the farmer sawed them in half and buried the good twin in a cemetery and the bad twin in a shallow grave near the house. Later, Andrew and his friends decide to hold a seance in the cemetery where the good twin is buried, but they unintentionally awaken the bad twin instead. Gradually, the bad twin possesses nearly everyone in town, and it is up to young Andrew to stop him.

Check it out here: http://io9.com/5830818/watch-the-tv-movie-that-nickelodeon-banned-for-being-too-scary


This means that I'll probably love it and do a review later. Everything I learned in life I learned from horror flicks--so as a kid, stuff like this wouldn't have bothered me. I loved Goosebumps and Tales from the Crypt Keeper, Are you Afraid of the Dark and the Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark series.


It's probably why I get a few weird looks seeing how I appear to be a "girly girl" who's obsessed with all things horror and urban fantasy fiction and I get more excited about del Toro's Don't Be Afraid of the Dark than over movies like Dear John and the Notebook. [I'm definitely NOT saying you should start letting your kid watch stuff that will freak them out, I'm just saying it was okay for me...]


This being said I'm still a little (read: ALOT) disappointed that Nickelodeon pulled this, but being that it's a television channel for kids I guess it didn't fit with their overall "kid friendly message." 


Maybe it's because I'm not a parent, but it irks me when a few parents (I realize it's not everyone) attack any kind of media in packs and complain about things which I feel that they really have no business complaining about. Case in point--the need for some parents to try to get video games banned. But here's a better question... why are they letting their kid(s) watch these things in the first place?!  

Maybe it's because some parents don't know what their kids are doing, sadly...  The other day I was in Gamestop and this woman was buying Call of Duty:MW3 for her 10-year-old son. The clerk was trying to tell her that the game had a mature rating and she chose to believe what her son was telling her over the sales clerk. Ridiculous. It just boggles my mind. 


Sorry had to get that little tangent out of my system... but stop listening to me. Go watch the movie before someone gets smart and takes it down...

Read More: Supreme Court Violent Video Games Ruling
Reactions:

0 comments:

Post a Comment

    Categories

    Twitter Updates

    Followers